The origins of Conway Farms Golf Club trace back to three Lake Forest families whose love for golf was exceeded only by their foresight. Their vision for a first rank golf club began with the purchase in 1956 of a farm straddling a stretch of old Conway Road, thus giving rise to the name Conway Farms. Conway Farms Golf Club is dedicated to the protection and preservation of the game, encouraging walking, fast play and the strong support of amateur golf.
Conway Farms Golf Club is an Illinois not-for-profit corporation; a private club by invitation only.
Conway Farms Golf Club opened for play on August 3, 1991. The Tom Fazio award-winning course sits on 209 acres in Lake Forest, Illinois, and is designed around Scottish links golf traditions. Today, all of us enjoy a well-established Club and mature housing development, with cozy cul de sacs and tree-lined streets, and it's hard to remember what was here before. The answer is nothing - no connecting roadway linking Route 60 with Everett Road, no houses, ponds, or tree-lined streets. There were just cornfields and other crops, and trails for horses to pick their way through and the occasional hunters searching for birds. But there was also a long-nurtured dream.
August 3, 1991, Conway Farms opened its doors. A ribbon was stretched between two trees and cut by one of the Founders, Margaret Hart. Then a bagpiper led fifty new members for the first time onto the course. Speeches were made, the land was blessed, and sand imported from Scotland was poured - signifying the unity with the birthplace of golf.
1991 "Under Construction" photos